Tuesday 16 June 2015

Writerly Vices...

We were talking about book-sniffing over at one of my favorite FB groups earlier, and it seems I'm not the only sniffer in the village. Not by a looooong way.

Come on, 'fess up, ladies. Raise your hand if you can't resist the temptation of sticking your nose between the pages of a shiny new book.

What do you mean, you've never done it? Hah! Still deep in the denial stage, eh? O-kay! :)

Since confession is reputedly good for the soul, here's another long-standing, lesser-known vice of mine... Stationery! (Cue visual aid, aaaand cue harp music and angelic host.)



Just take a look at this picture. *sighs* The sight of all those neatly stacked notebooks makes my heart race. I have a terrible weakness for stationery stores and office suppliers. The slightest excuse and I'm through those doors faster than a rabbit down a hole. It doesn't matter how many narrow feint notebooks and black Bic pens I have, I always NEED MORE.

I like to think of myself as Smaug, but sans all the gold, jewels, and other dragon bait. Actually, no. Forget I said that.

If, like me,  you're addicted to stationery, take a look at this link, it's a veritable drool-fest.

How about you. Do you have any secret vices you want to share with the group? Preferably of the non-naked variety please! :)

2 comments:

  1. I read alot of second hand books some come with their own unique smells!!!! Often makes me wonder about where the book has been and what people thought of it. Often thought it would be good for each person who reads it to put a comment in the front like a sort of diary of the books life!!! Anyway just finished your second book I sort of warmed to Anselm but still don't trust him. Book was great as good as the first, loved the battle, I was right there!! When will 3rd book be out??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Jo. Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments. You still don't trust Anselm? Guess what? Neither do I! :)

    I love your idea of a book 'diary.' Wouldn't that be great, tracking a book across time?

    Like you, I buy most of my books second-hand - from charity shops usually, or from stalls at various school/church fetes. Very occasionally I've come across one that has a beautifully penned dedication on one of the blank pages at the front. You know the sort of thing...

    'Brighton, 1955, To Harriet. Happy Christmas love from Grandma...'

    I like to trace the fading words with my fingertips while I try and imagine who Harriet was, where she grew up, got married. And from such things another story is born! :)

    The third book? Ah! That would be Anselm's book - although it doesn't strictly belong with the main series. It's more of a... companion book, if you will. Non-essential, but enlightening. (If you sign up for my newsletter you'll receive an e-copy for free.) I had planned to release the story in spring (2015) but I've since had to change my plans. My dad passed away in March, you see, and his death has knocked me sideways. As a result, I'm way behind schedule.

    On a more positive note, the first draft of Anselm's book is done, and I'm currently 'coloring it in', adding more depth and detail to the story - which is something I love to do! Hopefully it'll be ready for you to read by late-summer... ish! Book three proper, Martha and Vadim's book is going to take a little while longer, I'm afraid, but I have nailed down the first two chapters.

    Thanks so much for your comment, Jo. If you like, pop on over and say 'Hi' to me on FB. Idlove to see you there. Have a lovely evening. :) (https://www.facebook.com/pages/NJ-Layouni/405255156236485)

    ReplyDelete

Happy 4th of July!

Hope you all have a safe, happy, and wonderful day!