Sunday 21 June 2015

Scroll on by...

Happy Father's Day to all our dads... wherever they might be.

Sorry, my lovelies. This is a sad post I wrote for my dad. Please feel free to scroll on by. I really won't mind. I don't want to bring you down because, after all, this is supposed to be a happy day.

But for those who of us who have lost someone close, those 'first' milestones are brutally hard. Well today happens to be one of mine: for the first time ever, I didn't get my dad a card or pressie.

I used to think Father's Day/Mothers Day and the like were nothing but money making schemes manufactured by the card companies. I dunno. Perhaps they are. But it's funny how I wish I could waste some cash now there's no longer reason to do so.

Not sure if they get FB in the afterlife, but we're thinking of you Dad/ Grandad, and we miss you. <3

For those of you who are still reading this, here's an excerpt of something I wrote for the funeral which I hope gives a glimpse of the man Dad was. Not a hero. Not an angel. He was a long way from perfect - death hasn't made him into a saint! Even so, he was ours, and we loved him.

"...Dad never gave up on life. It never grew stale for him. He was extremely attached to his life and to all the people in it - people who loved him dearly. In his final week of life, he was busily preparing his camper van for a trip he planned to make. Sadly, he never got there, but I'm sure he had a lot of fun planning for all the places he wanted to visit. 

He was a big daft bugger who never gave up or grew truly old, and his big, generous heart was as young as that of any of his grandchildren. Not many people of 72 can say that, I guess..."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 4th of July!

Hope you all have a safe, happy, and wonderful day!