Friday 10 October 2014

Why did I not know this?

Hey, all. Happy Friday!

A good friend of mine recently sent me the most wonderful book through the post.(Thanks, Krissie!) It's Neil Oliver's book called 'Vikings: A History.'  Although I've only just started the second chapter, I've just read something that totally blew me away and I just had to share it with someone.

We're all familiar with Bluetooth technology, right? But did you know that the Swedish telecommunications company Ericsson named the tech' after a tenth-century Viking? Did you? Well, I certainly didn't. Why did no-one tell me this before?

"Harald 'Bluetooth' Blatand was King of Denmark and parts of Norway... He is famous for bring together the disparate Danish tribes into a unified whole - and then finding a way to unite them with their Norwegian neighbours..."

And get this: "...The little logo that sits at the top of the screen of any Bluetooth enabled hardware is actually a monogram created from the two runes that represent Harald's initials..."


Isn't that awesome? Just think. Even now, the ghosts of long-dead Vikings are still living in our modern world.

Okay, I'm off to read some more. Have a great weekend, my lovelies!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 4th of July!

Hope you all have a safe, happy, and wonderful day!