Wednesday 24 September 2014

There's ale, and there's ALE...

 Hello, my lovelies! 

I've had some great reviews this week--and if one of them was yours THANK YOU!!! <3

However, one particular reviewer expressed a legitimate concern that I feel I should address here, since it's generally frowned upon for an author to respond directly to any of their reviews. 

As anyone who's read Hemlock or Wolfsbane knows, my characters are rather partial to their ale. In almost every scene, someone's swigging it from a bladder or a tankard, or a barrel!

Well, this reviewer was rather concerned, and rightly so, about the risk of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome-aka FAS. (No spoilers! I'm talking generally here.)

You know what? I considered addressing this very subject during the process of writing both books, but I didn't want to turn the narrative into a lecture or turn Martha into a preacher (because she's obviously the only person in Erde who knows about the risks of FAS, right?)

So what I did, rightly or wrongly, I just kept quiet. BUT... I did leave a few clues here and there to intimate that the everyday ale on Erde wasn't the giggle-making drink we know today. (Martha's only major hangover was after a night on the mead. Seth went loco only after he'd been chugging wine. )

In years gone by, because the water could be rather dodgy back then, people tended to drink ale which they considered safer. Of course, then as now, there were various strengths of ale.

Dear readers, for the record, PLEASE be assured that any pregnant characters you may encounter in either of my books will only ever be drinking the weak and rather watery variety of ale. Well... unless I specify otherwise.

Cool. I'm glad I finally got that off my chest. It's been niggling at me for a LONG time:)


(For more info on medieval drink, follow the link. This lady explains medieval drink far better than I ever could!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 4th of July!

Hope you all have a safe, happy, and wonderful day!