Tuesday 17 June 2014

Let's talk cliffies!

Another fab review from an Amazon customer.  Thank you so much, whoever you are! :)



Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't offer the likes of me the pre-order button. I suppose that's because self-pubbers are a bit of an unknown quantity, and Amazon doesn't want to have a load of pre-orders for a book that might never come.

Yeah, I agree, 'Traveler' does end on a bit of a cliffie. My author chums all know how I hmm'd and haa'd  about that one.

For those of you who don't know, 'Traveler' was originally meant to be a one-off, stand-alone novel. But when I hit the 200,000 word mark and the ending still wasn't in sight, I was forced to reconsider. I mean, who'd take a chance on a doorstep of a book penned by an unknown author? That's why I split it into two.

I do mention that it's a cliffe on my Amazon author page, advising readers with an aversion to these kind of endings to steer clear--although Martha does get a HEA of sorts, however fleeting!

As a reader, cliffies don't really bother me. I view 'em as a soap opera with words. As long as the main story arc is complete, I'm happy to follow the start of a new one.

I'm trying to think of a few cliffie books: The Harry Potter series, Twilight, Outlander, come to mind.

Can you think of any more? How do you feel about them? I suppose it's a Marmite situation. People either love 'em or hate 'em. I'm guessing there aren't too many fence-sitters where cliffies are concerned.

Okay, heading back to my writer's dungeon to work on those revisions. Have a great day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 4th of July!

Hope you all have a safe, happy, and wonderful day!