Tuesday 20 May 2014

Adventures in Google-land...

Hello again! How's your week shaping up so far? Good, I hope? Splendid! :)

Anyhow, I thought I'd share one of my favourite ways to procrastinate. Nope, not Pinterest, although that's definitely one of my top ten reasons for not hitting my daily word target. No. What I'm talking about today is research.

Ah, sweet research! That endless quest into the rabbit warren world  that is Google. I've had to seriously cut back on my Googling expeditions lately, otherwise I'd never get anything down on paper.

But research is SO addictive. And best of all, I can usually convince myself that whatever I'm hunting is essential to the story. Many a good writer has come to grief in this way! :)

During the writing of 'Hemlock' and 'Wolfsbane', I've learned some wonderful things about life in medieval times. In no particular order, here are a few of my favourite procrastination topics:

-How women back then dealt with their 'monthly visitor' (Sorry chaps!)

-Medieval 'bathrooms'.

-How to make soap from wood ashes and animal fat.

-How to light a fire when the wood is wet.

-Candle-making.

-How to make parchment/vellum/ink.

-Castle design.

-Medieval weaponry.

-Smoking(as in food preservation!).

And those are just some of the ways I fritter away my time. Actually, I'm surprised I ever get anything done.:)

S'funny, as I looked back at this list, something occurred to me. If this whole writing thing doesn't work out, perhaps I might have a future in bush-craft...if I can drag myself away from Google, that is!


Toodle pip!

(The mighty Ray Meers doing his thing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 4th of July!

Hope you all have a safe, happy, and wonderful day!