Sunday 25 August 2013

Happy Holiday...

We had a terrific holiday in Northumberland, and I thought I'd bore...I mean, share a few pictures with you.

Alnwick Castle.
 
Has anyone seen Hagrid and Harry? Oh yes, there they are!
 
 
You don't have to be a Harry Potter fan to enjoy Alnwick's wonderful castle. The entrance fee is a bit steep, but it's well worth it, imo. The kids LOVED it. There was so much fun stuff for them to do.
 
Next up: Lovely Lindisfarne Island.
 
Here's a view towards the castle. Although I've visited the island several times, I've never actually made it as far as the castle. Because the causeway on and off the island is subject to the whims of the tide, there's never enough time to see everything. I prefer to get clear of the herd and make for the shore.
 
There are lots of rock pools to keep the kids entertained while I sit back and soak in the tranquillity of Lindisfarne.
 
A few brief hours later and it's a mad dash to the car and off the island before the tide turns. I heard that every month, at least one car falls victim to the causeway. The sea comes in very quickly. On the day we visited, I learned that the sea had claimed two more cars. Thankfully, no one was hurt.
 
Here's a shot of the mist as it billowed towards us as we were leaving the island.
 
Can you see it on the horizon? Not sure the photo does it justice, but it was a very atmospheric end to a magical day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 4th of July!

Hope you all have a safe, happy, and wonderful day!