Tuesday 7 May 2013

Addiction?

Writing the final pages of my current MS is a real slog. How many more loose ends are there, for goodness sake? But I keep on finding them. This story sheds threads like irritating fibres from a mohair sweater.

Question to self: Why are you putting yourself through all this? Even deprived of your novel, the world will keep right on turning. Find another interest, why don't you?

Answer: Because I can't. I don't want to quit writing. It makes me happy--in a snappish and snarly kind of way.

The highs are just amazing. Those rare sweet days when the words come tumbling out are my shot in the arm. It's a short flight, but it's pretty damn spectacular while it lasts.

Then comes the crash...then another uphill slog...jump off the edge and I'm flying again. :D

Of course, I can quit any time I like. *sniff* I just don't want to. Not really.

2 comments:

  1. No you can't quite writing ... or I'll have to stage a siege like the one you have in your book and, let's face it, I just don't have the budget or energy levels for that. Know that your book is read and enjoyed by your critique partners, and will some day be read and enjoyed by others. But yes, I agree with you that writing a novel is a series of highs and lows. And there are (many) days when it seems easier to chuck the whole thing out the window. Keep writing, Nicola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kimberly :)

    I think we're so close to the words we write we can't 'see' the story properly anymore.

    Critique partners are a wonderful thing. How did I manage without them for so long? Not only do they point out all the bad stuff, but they're great for boosting moral too.

    At this stage, I find I benefit from an occasional stroke in between the thrashings!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Happy 4th of July!

Hope you all have a safe, happy, and wonderful day!